Virtual (indoor) racing
New Season Starting – Express your interest now!
BathCC has a long and storied history of racing, but we are moving with the times. Virtual racing on Zwift is taking off and BathCC is in on the action!
As a club, we have a growing number of members that enjoy virtual riding on Zwift. Even before the events of 2020 forced us to rethink our ride and racing calendar, we had started to run events on Zwift. Over the 2020 lockdown, Bath CC played a big role in getting some local interclub Zwift racing events, which have now evolved into the British Cycling South Region WTRL Zwift Racing League.
Not sure if it’s for you? Here’s a video that Joe Gregory put together talking to various club members about what they get from Zwifting.
If you are interested in participating in some Zwift racing, please ask to be added to our Zwift WhatsApp group. There are some things that you’ll need to do in order to be race-ready:
- We race on Zwift. (https://www.zwift.com/). Here’s a handy article that explains what you need to get started: https://road.cc/content/feature/213282-how-get-started-zwift
- You’ll need to have an account on ZwiftPower, and for that to be linked to your Zwift account. Here’s a handy article that covers the setup process (and also explains some of the basics of Zwift Racing): https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-race/ Our ZwiftPower club is here: https://www.zwiftpower.com/team.php?id=393
- For races, heart rate monitors are preferred or sometimes required.
For race communications, we use Discord (https://discord.com/). Discord can be run on a mobile (Apple iOS or Android) or a laptop (Windows / Linux / Mac). It’s worth spending a bit of time making sure you’ve got your microphone setup so that it can hear your voice without also picking up the noise of your trainer. You might need to look at the ‘push to talk’ option. To join the BathCC Discord server, ask for a current invite link in WhatsApp.
Bath CC is currently participating in the new Zwift Racing League run by WTRL – https://www.wtrl.racing/Zwift-Racing-League.php – Every Tuesday night we have multiple teams, across the range of categories.
- Bath CC Lansdown: Men, Division A
- Bath CC Royals: Women, Division B
- Bath CC Camden: Men, Division B
- Bath CC Belgrave: Men, Division B
- Bath CC Cavendish: Women, Division C
- Bath CC Norfolk: Men, Division C
Races alternate each week between scratch races and TTT.
Team Time Trial (TTT)
Perhaps the best racing Zwift has to offer? TTT is made possible by the smart guys that run the WTRL. It takes a bit of extra organisation, but the outcome combines the fun of Zwift, the competition of the race and the extra drive of taking part as a real team.
The WTRL guide to TTT is here: https://www.wtrl.racing/ttt/TTT-Rules-and-Info.php – if it’s your first time doing a TTT then be sure to read the ‘Race Day’ section in advance, although your team captain will talk you through the details.
Tip: Make sure you know how to put yourself in warmup mode (on laptops, in the ‘pairing screen’, on mobile devices go in to the garage and to the Bike Change area) before the race. If it’s working, you can pedal without your rider moving in the real world. You’ll need to do this so that you can keep warm while waiting for the groups start time.